Any filmmaker who owns an iPad 2 has, like myself, probably wanted to use that built in 720p camera more than they have. But the biggest problem with the thing is that it’s incredibly awkward to use. Unlike shooting video with the iPhone 4, the iPad 2 requires use of both hands, doesn’t respond well in low light, and has sub-par audio recording at best. Well, things are about to change.
Makayama has introduced the Movie Mount for iPad 2, an innovative camera mount which adds 10 new features onto your iPad 2:
- Attach a tripod for stable shots, pan & tilt camera movements. Standard screwfitting.
- Use 37 mm conversion lenses, such as wide angle and zoom*.
- Slide on-the-fly between the built-in lens and the conversion lens.
- Use shotgun microphones for better sound (requires splitter cable).
- Use an optical viewfinder to shoot in bright sunlight.
- Use a video light for better performance in low light.
- Easier iMovie editing, with a 9 degrees working angle.
- The mount allows your iPad to stand upright and be used as monitor.
- The free Movie Mount iPad app allows you to manually control video recording
- Fully compatible with Smart Cover.
The mount is currently available for Pre-Order at $69.95 US / 49.95 EUR from their site, and only includes the case (Lenses, tripod, microphone, lights etc. are not included with the purchase). They do however offer a complementary iPad app for free in the iTunes store!
Here’s a quick demo video that the folks at Makayama put together for the mount: