Vimeo’s iPhone app loses its editing tools. Hooray!
Vimeo, YouTube’s significantly better dressed cousin, has just updated its iOS app. Aside from adding background video uploading, easier sharing on social networks, and some welcome interface refinements, the big news here is that Vimeo ditched one of the app’s marquee features: video editing.
Why is this a good thing? Because it’s a clear indication that iOS based video editing has evolved to the point where mediocre tools are no longer relevant.
Over the past few years, we’ve seen a slew of editing apps come and go, some good, some bad, and a lot that just plain sucked. Existing video apps were adding basic editing functionality just to keep pace. Vimeo for iPhone was one such app. Vimeo’s editor couldn’t do much, but it was free, and I suppose that was enough to get people excited. Personally, I thought it was poop — a bummer since I’m a huge fan of the Vimeo service.
Things in the editing universe started getting interesting when Apple introduced iMovie for iOS. While it was hardly a “pro” app, it did advance the state of mobile editing. In fact, a recent iMovie update added a precision editor, letting users create J and L cuts (when picture and sound cut at different points). Video editing giant Avid even got into the act with their iPad app, Avid Studio (now owned by Corel, and titled Pinnacle Studio).
Thanks to low-cost, feature-packed editors like iMovie and Avid Studio, basic editing apps now seem trite by comparison. For this reason, I believe Vimeo’s decision to remove the basic editing functionality from its otherwise elegant app was the right choice.
What do you think? Will you miss the editing feature?
While you’re thinking it over, here’s a fun video promoting the latest version of Vimeo:
by Vimeo, LLC
Discover amazing videos from the world’s best creators, and upload your own—all on your iPhone and iPad—with Vimeo for iOS.
Upload and discover gorgeous, ad-free videos in 4K Ultra HD, and follow the world’s best creators to fill your feed with amazing stuff each and every day. No time to watch? Save videos for offline viewing. Have your own stuff to share? Upload videos from anywhere, and access them whether you’re at home, or on the go.
With Vimeo for iOS, you can:
Showcase videos in the highest quality
-Upload videos in 4K Ultra HD
-Rejoice in ad-free playback
-Add videos to your Watch Later queue
-Save videos to watch offline
Easily upload, manage, and share videos
-Upload videos right from your Camera Roll
-Easily manage your video settings and profile
-Share videos privately with people you choose
-Access your videos from anywhere
Discover videos and creators you love
-Follow creators, categories, and more to customize your feed
-Delight daily in a fresh batch of Staff Picks, hand-selected by our team
-Dive into different human-curated categories like Animation, Documentary, Travel and more
We offer in-app purchases for annual and monthly subscriptions to Vimeo Plus, which includes a 5GB weekly upload quota (up to 250GB per year), advanced privacy features for your videos, and more. Upon confirmation of purchase, the amount will be charged to your iTunes account. You can always review the total price before completing payment.
Depending on your subscription, Vimeo Plus will renew monthly or annually, and pricing will vary by the subscription type and by country. To avoid renewal, you must disable auto-renew at least 24 hours before your subscription ends. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings.
For an easy way to edit your videos, download Cameo, our free and insanely powerful video-editing app for iOS. vimeo.com/cameo
Have feedback for us? Vimeo is full of actual humans who’d love to listen. Go to vimeo.com/help/contact to get in touch.
Terms of Service: https://vimeo.com/terms
With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
Browse and share your videos
• Enjoy all your videos in the full-screen Video browser
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Mark favorite moments to easily find them later
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Use 3D Touch on iPhone 6s to quickly start a new project from the Home Screen or Peek at a movie from the Projects browser
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion, fast forward, picture-in-picture, and split-screen effects*
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Use the iMovie extension to enhance video clips right in the Photos app
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your computer via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie for Mac
• Share your finished movies and trailers to iMovie Theater and watch them on all your devices with iCloud, including Apple TV*****
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60**
• Share directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop***
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro.
*** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
**** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
***** To view iMovie Theater on Apple TV (4th Generation), you must download the iMovie Theater app from the App Store.
Pinnacle Studio Pro
by Corel Inc.
Pinnacle Studio Pro
* Best mobile app, Videomaker Best Products of the Year - 2014
* One of Time's 50 Must-Have iPad Apps - April 2013
* Two time PCmag.com Editor’s Choice Award winner and 4.5/5 stars – April 2012 & Feb 2013
* 148apps.com - 4.5 out of 5 stars!
Pinnacle Studio Pro is universal! Now one purchase gets you the same great app on your iPad and iPhone!
Perfect for mobile journalists and creative filmmakers! Big-screen moviemaking comes to the touchscreen with Pinnacle® Studio Pro. Our leading film-editing technology brings you an easy-to-use app that enables you to quickly edit video, audio, and photos at the speed of your creativity.
Swiftly arrange your clips in the Storyboard, make precision edits using the Timeline and Dual View Precision, and add high-quality transitions, effects, and a soundtrack. Enjoy HD output support and share your movie directly to YouTube, Facebook, Box and more—or export your project to Pinnacle® Studio for the PC and continue editing with even more advanced tools.
Easily Access Your Media
• Work with any media on your device—video, audio, and photos
• Access media from external devices via an Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
• Access media from Box, Vimeo, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive
• Capture video and photos from within the app
• Use “Open-In” feature to open compatible files from other apps
• Download media from iCloud Photos directly from the app Library
• Easily navigate your project with intuitive gestures
• Swiftly arrange clips in the Storyboard
• Make precise edits and trim individual frames in the Timeline and Precision Trimmer
• Easily replace one clip with another
• Create slow motion and fast motion effects for video and audio and maintain audio pitch (fully supports 120 and 240fps slo-mo video files)
• Use Montage templates to create multi-layer 3D animations, transitions, and titles
• Help your story flow using 16 transitions—including high-quality dissolves, fades, and more
• Generate professional-looking motion titles and graphics with full control over text, font, color, size, position, and rotation
• Create amazing Picture-in-Picture effects with full control over position, size, and rotation
• Pan and zoom on your photos to create high-impact slideshows
• Enjoy full-screen playback
• Use your own audio or choose from the included sound effects
• Purchase from a selection of Triple Scoop Music tracks
• Trim audio to any length, set levels, and fade audio in or out
• Use the Voiceover feature to add documentary-style narration to your videos and slideshows
• View and adjust audio levels in realtime with the professional Audio Mixer
• Easily share your movies via YouTube, Facebook, Cloud-storage, Airdrop and more
• Export projects with media to Pinnacle Studio for Windows
• Enjoy professional 2K and 4K support on the latest devices and full 1080p output support on any iPad or iPhone
• Export at 24, 25, 30, 50 or 60 fps (older iPads and iPhones may have limited support for higher frame rates)
Pro Technology, Pro Results
• Easy enough for the hobbyist, powerful enough for the pro