Rehearsal is every Actor’s new best friend
If you’ve seen me speak at industry events, then you already know I’m a big fan of Sotto Voce Film+Works’ Rehearsal, an app that gives actors an irrefutable reason to purchase an iPad (or an iPhone).
At its core, Rehearsal is a script reading application designed specifically for actors who must memorize lines, or submit voice auditions via email. It works on iPhone, but really shines on iPad, since the screen is so much closer to the size of an actual script page. [UPDATE: Make sure to read the developer’s comment below. He makes some great points about the benefits of using Rehearsal on an iPhone.]
Here’s how it works. The user emails a script to a special email address. Once the script has been processed, it becomes available inside Rehearsal. The user opens the script, and uses the provided tools to highlight lines, add notes (text, voice or photos), and record audio performances. Once the user is confident he/she has the lines memorized, they can tap the Blackout button. Every line that was highlighted is instantly blacked-out, forcing the actor to perform the scene from memory. Nice!
Actors can record their performances using the built-in mic, then email MP3s right from the app — perfect for voice-over auditions.
Rehearsal was developed by professional actor, David H. Lawrence, XVII (Lost, Heros, and MANY others). It’s clear that his years of experience have helped him craft this impressive app. Furthermore, David’s connections in the acting community allowed him to beta-test Rehearsal with a-list talent on sets all over Los Angeles. Who ever said app development isn’t glamorous?
Rehearsal is free, but it costs a small amount to upload scripts. Unlimited upload subscriptions are also available. The app comes with a free trial period, so you can try it out before committing to any additional fees. Considering how much actors spend on other recurring costs (i.e. headshots, reels, classes, etc.), this seems like a pretty minor expense for something of such potential value.
If you’d like to see Rehearsal in action, here’s the app’s official demo video:
by Sotto Voce Filmworks, Inc.
Want to learn your lines? This is the app for that. Rehearsal 2, featured in USA TODAY, the NY Times, Fast Company, LA Magazine and BACKSTAGE, is the industry standard for cast and crew to organize their scripts for auditions and working on set. Battle tested in Hollywood and around the world by actors on shows like Heroes, LOST, Psych, Human Target, Castle, CSI, Dexter, Outlaw, Body of Proof and more.
"I love this app! Rehearsal lets me learn my lines in the car while I drive to work. It already saved my a** when I was thrown a major new dialogue scene 45 minutes before we started shooting it. I plugged the new scene into Rehearsal and I was off book by the time I got out of the make up chair." -Clark Gregg (Iron Man, Avengers, Desperate Housewives, New Adventures of Old Christine)
"I am very pleased with the results of using Rehearsal so far. It is a powerful tool in preparing for auditions, or for days of work, especially when I am pressed for time. It is easy to use and I have no doubt that as it evolves, it will be a part of my work process for a long time." -John Carroll Lynch (Shutter Island, Dexter, The Drew Carey Show, Body of Proof)
Rehearsal 2 is a brand new update that
- is extremely easy to use, solid and reliable
- is intuitive and obvious: it reminds you of what you do with physical scripts
- works with any iDevice
- NEW: costs one low price for unlimited usage - no more in-app purchases
- NEW: open your scripts directly from the mail message in which you receive them
- work with the same PDF and Word files you get on your computer
- easily break down your script into your scenes
- reading your script is a snap - just flick and scroll
Rehearse scenes and learn your lines
- highlight your lines and your scene partners' lines in vibrant colors
- record your lines and play them back, watching the script scroll by like a teleprompter
- NEW: quickly fast forward or rewind to pick up lines simply by scrolling the script
- record any number of versions of scenes, exploring your character and creating new reads
- automatically repeat your scene over and over until you know your lines cold
- play peekaboo to memorize - reveal your lines in blackout mode only when you need them
- quickly add beat marks to divide longer passages into manageable beats
Exploring your character
- easily create and review "notes in the margins" - text, audio, photo or video depending upon your device
- record different takes on lines, different looks for characters without forgetting them
- have all your strong choices at your fingertips for instant review before audition or performance
Everyone on the production team can use Rehearsal
- location scouts can create quick and easy reports
- makeup, wardrobe and set dressers can keep track of continuity and looks from scene to scene
- directors and cinematographers can plan shots and create on-the-fly storyboards
Special features just for voice talent
- audition for voiceover work from anywhere
- email in your auditions as MP3 files from anywhere to anyone
For actors from every walk of life and all areas of accomplishment
- works with short audition sides, to feature length scripts
- easily handles physical scripts by bursting and scanning to PDF
- for every actor at any skill level, student, amateur or professional
- for every actor in every arena, from community theater, commercial, industrial, stage, web, VO, television, and film
- get help with on-board demo videos that show you how to do nearly everything
- works flawlessly with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices
Rehearsal 2 was created by a working Hollywood actor, David H. Lawrence XVII, best known as the creepy Eric Doyle, the Puppetmaster on NBC's Heroes. He and fellow working actors in Hollywood have been using Rehearsal for auditions, on-set work and personal skill building.