Oscar nominated doc partially shot on iPhone!
Are you one of those people who still doubt an iPhone can be used to shoot a “real” production? Well then, perhaps this will change your mind…
When filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul ran out of money to continue shooting and processing film for his new documentary, Searching for Sugar Man, he turned to his iPhone and a $1.99 vintage video camera app called 8mm.
Sure, that’s awesome, but you know what’s even more awesome? Searching for Sugar Man is now nominated for an Academy award!
Rather than yammering on about it, I’ll simply point you to this interview posted by CNN Money a couple days ago.
On a side note, this isn’t the only time an iPhone has contributed to a well received documentary. American Promise, which recently screened at the Sundance Film Festival, also includes footage shot on an iPhone.
Take that, doubting doubters of doubtopia!
*Thanks to Ken Ray, Geoff Murrin, and Karyn Johnson for putting this on my radar!
8mm Vintage Camera
by NEXVIO INC.
8mm Vintage Camera
AN OSCAR WORTHY APP - 8mm was used by director Malik Bendjelloul in his Oscar-winning film "Searching for Sugar Man"!
The original retro film camera used by millions of users.
8mm Vintage Camera captures the beauty and magic of old school vintage movies right through your viewfinder. Dust and scratches, retro colors, flickering, light leaks, even frame shakes, all can be instantly added with a single tap of the finger.
RECORD VIDEOS WITH SOPHISTICATED LIVE EFFECTS
• Total live view of the effects. What you see in the viewfinder is what you get.
• Support up to 4K HD recording with real time video effects.
INSTANTLY SWITCH EFFECTS FOR 70 DIFFERENT LOOKS
• 7 Lenses: Super 8, Clear, Flickering Frame, Spotlight, Light Leak, Color Fringing and Classic.
• 12 Retro & Aged Films: 1920, Noir, 60s, 70s, Sakura, XPro, Siena, Pela, Indigo, Tuscan, Two-Color and 2-Strip.
• Jitter Button to imitate frame shakes of real 8mm projectors.
• Sound Switch to add projector sound for extra authenticity or mute the video for a silent movie effect.
APPLY EFFECTS TO EXISTING VIDEOS
• Apply and adjust effects while playing a video from Photo library.
CREATE PRO-QUALITY MOVIES FROM 8MM CLIPS
• Choose from 5 unique themes with matching titles, transitions & music. Free themes: Minimalism, Elegant. In-App Purchase themes: Silent Film, Countdown, Light Leak.
• Add soundtrack from iTunes library.