Avid Studio for iPad. This sh*t just got real, yo!
UPDATE (8/30/12): Avid Studio has been sold to Corel Inc., and is now called Pinnacle Studio. Same app – New ownership.
“Editing on an iPad? Yeah, right. iMovie? Pffft. Whatever. Let me know when Avid makes an iPad app! Because that’s when I’ll start take mobile editing seriously.”
Ok, cynical editor guy… Avid just released an editing app!
Avid Studio ($4.99) has just hit the App Store, and it’s SWEET. But, it also suffers from a few shortcomings. Just by looking at the app’s primary editing screen, you know Avid took their time in crafting an easy to understand, powerful, and deceptively simple interface.
In one quarter of the screen, users view thumbnails of all their media (videos, photos, music, transitions, etc.). The description of the app says you can also access media from external devices via the iPad camera connection kit. You can also capture video and photos from within the app.
Media is added to your edit with a simple drag and drop. Like most editing environments, Avid Studio is based on a timeline metaphor, but unlike its predecessors, this app has gone one step further by adding what it calls a ‘storyboard’ (a strip of small square thumbnails directly under the timeline). In the Storyboard strip, users can quickly tap and drag clips to reorder them, while keeping an eye on an overview of the entire project. While that sounds simple enough, most iPad and iPhone video editors lack this ability. Typically, users have to zoom in and out in order to re-orient themselves. By connecting their timeline with the storyboard strip, Avid Studio offers a BIG time savings.
The app also features custom motion titles, picture in picture effects, and 3D layered effects (using in-timeline drop-zones). Most are good-looking, although some suffer from templatitis.
Edits can be fine tuned (down to the frame) using the app’s built-in precision editing tools. Your project can be played back at any time in the preview area or full screen, although more complex effects may require rendering (not the speediest process). The app functions equally well in portrait and landscape mode, although landscape does allow for a wider view of your timeline.
Once your satisfied with your cut, you can render and upload your video to all the usual places (Facebook, Youtube, email, etc).
All is not perfect, however. I experienced a LOT of crashing on my iPad 1 (it performs much better on an iPad 2). So much crashing, in fact, that at some points I couldn’t even get the app to launch. Clearly, that needs to be addressed quickly or Avid stands to upset many potential customers. Also, I’d like to see the addition of more transitions (which is an odd request from me since I hate most transitions). And finally, if you hadn’t already guessed, Avid Studio is still simply a consumer app. There’s no EDL or XML export. So as of now, you can’t use Avid Studio as an offline editor. Perhaps that will change as the iPad seeps deeper into the filmmaking community.
Considering Avid’s long history as a leader in non-liner editing, stepping in to the consumer market is a bold step. All in all, Avid Studio is a beautifully simple editor with an absurdly low price. If you want to cut video on your iPad, this app is a great place to start (although if you’re an iPad 1 owner, you should wait for a stable update).
Pinnacle Studio Pro
by Corel Inc.
Pinnacle Studio Pro
* Best mobile app, Videomaker Best Products of the Year - 2014
* One of Time's 50 Must-Have iPad Apps - April 2013
* Two time PCmag.com Editor’s Choice Award winner and 4.5/5 stars – April 2012 & Feb 2013
* 148apps.com - 4.5 out of 5 stars!
Pinnacle Studio Pro is universal! Now one purchase gets you the same great app on your iPad and iPhone!
Perfect for mobile journalists and creative filmmakers! Big-screen moviemaking comes to the touchscreen with Pinnacle® Studio Pro. Our leading film-editing technology brings you an easy-to-use app that enables you to quickly edit video, audio, and photos at the speed of your creativity.
Swiftly arrange your clips in the Storyboard, make precision edits using the Timeline and Dual View Precision, and add high-quality transitions, effects, and a soundtrack. Enjoy HD output support and share your movie directly to YouTube, Facebook, Box and more—or export your project to Pinnacle® Studio for the PC and continue editing with even more advanced tools.
Easily Access Your Media
• Work with any media on your device—video, audio, and photos
• Access media from external devices via an Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
• Access media from Box, Vimeo, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive
• Capture video and photos from within the app
• Use “Open-In” feature to open compatible files from other apps
• Download media from iCloud Photos directly from the app Library
• Easily navigate your project with intuitive gestures
• Swiftly arrange clips in the Storyboard
• Make precise edits and trim individual frames in the Timeline and Precision Trimmer
• Easily replace one clip with another
• Create slow motion and fast motion effects for video and audio and maintain audio pitch (fully supports 120 and 240fps slo-mo video files)
• Use Montage templates to create multi-layer 3D animations, transitions, and titles
• Help your story flow using 16 transitions—including high-quality dissolves, fades, and more
• Generate professional-looking motion titles and graphics with full control over text, font, color, size, position, and rotation
• Create amazing Picture-in-Picture effects with full control over position, size, and rotation
• Pan and zoom on your photos to create high-impact slideshows
• Enjoy full-screen playback
• Use your own audio or choose from the included sound effects
• Purchase from a selection of Triple Scoop Music tracks
• Trim audio to any length, set levels, and fade audio in or out
• Use the Voiceover feature to add documentary-style narration to your videos and slideshows
• View and adjust audio levels in realtime with the professional Audio Mixer
• Easily share your movies via YouTube, Facebook, Cloud-storage, Airdrop and more
• Export projects with media to Pinnacle Studio for Windows
• Enjoy professional 2K and 4K support on the latest devices and full 1080p output support on any iPad or iPhone
• Export at 24, 25, 30, 50 or 60 fps (older iPads and iPhones may have limited support for higher frame rates)
Pro Technology, Pro Results
• Easy enough for the hobbyist, powerful enough for the pro